Sunday, September 28, 2014

That Writing Feeling

It's been over 7 months since I last posted a blog, I've written a few between that time and now but deleted them when they went places I wasn't comfortable going on the world wide web. It's hard both walking the fine line between honest and t.m.i, and finding time to commit to the writing down of thoughts. For instance, I hadn't even finished the first sentence here before I had to stop and pull a Doc McStuffins and tape and action figure's arm back together. I have, however, been wanting to write and two movies I've watched recently have fanned the flame of that particular desire. The first flick was the mostly forgettable but not horrible film "Mom's Night Out", this was one Araine had wanted to see and while we didn't make it to see it at the theater we did rent it a few weeks ago. Patricia Heaton, of t.v.'s "The Middle" and "Everybody Loves Raymond", produced and co-stared in this somewhat faith-based comedy about a harried mom who tries to take a night out with her friends. The mom in the movie is a budding professional blogger (a profession that seems to exist more in Hollywood than in real life) who never feels she measures up as a mom, thus dampening her 'mom' blog; but, of course, by the films end she's learned that she's good enough just as she is and she starts blogging away. This set me thinking, I need to blog again, if a harassed Hollywood heroine can do it then perhaps this easily overstressed dad can do it as well. The second movie, I watched just this morning, is the not-for-the-faint-of-heart "Kill Your Darlings". Daniel Radcliffe, in a big departure from "Harry Potter", stars as Allen Ginsberg in a film somewhat based upon actual events. The movie is nominally about a murder that the founding fathers of the beat movement were implicated in, but the real drive of the movie is seeing how this group came together and came to be who they were. Radcliffe's Ginsberg starts out as a wide-eyed freshman at Columbia who soon falls under the spell of the troubled, anti-establishmentarian Lucien, Lucien then introduces Ginsberg to (among others) Jack Kerouac and William S. Burroughs. Lucien is both the Pete Best and Yoko Ono of the 'beat' founders. The neat thing to me about this movie is that you can feel "Howl" being born within this tumultuous time, even though he doesn't say it in the film (the poem came later in his life) you can see that famous first line, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness..." coming to life. While I don't support the use of mind altering drugs in general, perhaps it's a good thing for a few wild individuals to take the plunge and "expand their consciousness" for the benefit of us all. Worry not though, I'm no Raskolnikov thinking I'm a Napoleon, I need my consciousness intact; but the film did make me want to write. (Now before you rush out and watch this movie know that it is pretty graphic, perhaps you should read "Howl" before deciding if you want to watch the flick.
    Well, for better and worse, there's the blog. It was aggravating getting it written (you wouldn't believe how long it took) but it felt good to write and I hope to make it a more common thing, whether anyone reads them or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment